Telecommunications

FOR EMERGENCY SERVICES ON CAMPUS:  Dial 911 or 1111   
 
   IEA trophy

ACUTA Institution Excellence Award 2013 WINNER 

In category one, for institutions with enrollments of less than 5000, Sewanee was recognized for its Wireless and Network Infrastructure Project. It is a strategic initiative to provide improved access to campus servers and information systems, online course materials, and the Internet, including the many electronic journals, databases, streaming music and video collections licensed by the library.   

Telecommunications & Technology Infrastructure Services Staff

 Alice Black

Alice Black

Clerk/Univ. Operator
598-1240
ablack@sewanee.edu

Jansenius ‌

Jeanne Jansenius

Director
598-1095
jjanseni@sewanee.edu

Location

We are located upstairs in the Comptel Building which is behind the University bookstore. Take sidewalk to the left of the University bookstore. We are the first single door on the left...click on Map for walking and driving instructions.

2014-2015 Mission

Provide leadership in the use of information technology to support the educational, research and outreach missions of the University by provisioning and managing the telecommunication services, ID services, wireless services, and the transport network infrastructure for the benefit of the students, faculty, staff and visitors. 

Telecommunications & Technology Infrastructure Services History 

In the beginning...Prior to May 1989, calls were transferred throughout campus using an AT&T Dimension system. Extensions were assigned by a lottery system as the Dimension system had become obsolete. The new Nortel PBX (now upgraded to an Option 81C), was cutover August 4, 1990 with 733 analog telephone sets installed in student rooms and 498 administrative phones in staff and faculty offices. At the time of cutover we installed 2,930 miles of 24 gauge copper wire pairs and 160 miles of fiber optic cable. Because Sewanee is located on the top of the Cumberland plateau approximately 15,000 cubic feet of sandstone was removed (enough to fill a 1,900 square foot house); 6600 copper pairs in 39 buildings and 33 twelve pair fiber pairs were installed; data connections were installed. The main outside cable runs were placed in concrete enclosed conduit. Each student living area has at least one telephone with local calling and 0+ calling at no extra cost to the student. (Many suites are equipped with more than one phone.) This was the beginning of a new era as the University began a long distance resell program for students, faculty, and staff. Payphones were taken out of resident halls and phone extensions became a convenience...not a commodity. For a virtual project tour click link for additional history and pictures around campus.